As we approach the start of the much-anticipated 2023 college football season, I am honored to share a few milestones as we come off our game’s 25th anniversary.
Over the past quarter-century, the TransPerfect Music City Bowl has evolved from an original idea to an annual tradition promoting Nashville during what was historically one of the city’s slowest tourism weeks of the year, to now one of its busiest.
We also have been privileged to host some of the most thrilling matchups in postseason college football history, showcasing exceptional talent from a future Heisman Trophy winner, players who became first overall picks in the NFL Draft and teams that would go on to secure national championships.
But beyond the touchdowns and tackles, the TransPerfect Music City Bowl has also made a profound impact off the gridiron:
• Over the course of 25 years, the bowl has left an indelible mark on Nashville's thriving tourism industry, drawing a staggering 1.3 million spectators to the city. This consistent influx of enthusiastic fans has not only ignited a surge in hotel occupancy rates, restaurant patronage and local transportation services during bowl weekend but has also established the event as a key driver of Nashville's economy. By showcasing the city's unique offerings to a national audience, the bowl has played a pivotal role in positioning Nashville as a premier destination for travelers.
• The bowl stands as a significant driver of Nashville's economic prosperity, generating an economic impact that surpasses the $400 million mark. As one of the premier college football bowl games, the event draws in an influx of visitors from across the nation, all converging upon Nashville during the last week of the year. The annual average of $15 million in spending associated with lodging, dining, transportation and entertainment has amplified the local economy, supporting a wide array of businesses and industries.
• The bowl’s Youth Football Program extends its support by providing local youth leagues with substantial monetary contributions every year. These funds aid in the procurement and repair of equipment and uniforms, the upkeep of facilities, covering expenses for game officials and the introduction of novel league initiatives throughout the year.
• Moreover, as part of this initiative, the leagues are furnished with an official bowl helmet sticker. Additionally, every coach and player from the championship-winning teams of these leagues are granted complimentary tickets. Notably, Delta Dental of Tennessee, a steadfast advocate for two decades, contributes further by providing mouthguards. In partnership with the bowl, Delta Dental of Tennessee has collectively distributed over 150,000 mouthguards throughout the state.
• Over the past four years, the bowl’s Amazon Voice of the Bowl contest has blended realms of sports and music, two of our city’s best exports. This contest, presented in collaboration with Amazon, has allowed aspiring musicians to showcase their vocal talents by performing the national anthem and “God Bless America” at the bowl game's kickoff event. This contest encapsulates the essence of Nashville's cultural identity, where music and sports converge to create a unique and immersive experience.
• The bowl’s alliance with the Southeastern Conference (SEC) and the Big Ten brings forth an electrifying fusion of top-tier college football talent and unparalleled fan experience. The combination of these two powerhouse conferences creates an atmosphere of tradition and intensity, drawing in fans from all corners of the country. The SEC and the Big Ten are renowned for their rich football traditions, storied rivalries and consistently high-caliber teams, ensuring that the TransPerfect Music City Bowl consistently features matchups that captivate and thrill spectators.
• ESPN has also played a pivotal role over these past 25 years. Through their collaboration, the bowl has consistently delivered top-tier college football action to an audience of over 100 million total viewers.
As we embark on our 26th season, we are mindful of the evolving landscape of college football while cognizant that we are aligned with the two strongest conferences in the country. Both the SEC and Big Ten are slated to grow to 34 teams combined next season. But our commitment to making an impact remains steadfast, even as the playing field changes.
We invite you to join us in celebrating the past, present and future of the TransPerfect Music City Bowl. Together, let's honor its legacy and the spirit of college football. Let's continue to make a difference, not only on the field but in the community that’s supported our game since its inception.
Thank you for your support and here's to the next 25 years of unforgettable moments, inspiring stories and impact of the TransPerfect Music City Bowl.
See you at the kickoff on Dec. 30!
TransPerfect Music City Bowl